Saturday, October 2, 2010

Arrived!

I was definitely the only blonde in line for check-in this evening for Qatar Airways, so begins this crazy adventure!

The flight was good, a minor 'technical' issue that delayed us for about an hour at JFK but all clearly worked out since I'm here. And alive. I met a nice girl in the security line who was on her way to Egypt for the World Lifeguarding Championships, her only carry on was a backpack and her fins. 

I have a nice new stamp/visa in my passport and as soon as I picked up my luggage was greeted by a very nice driver, Benjamin, and whisked away in a really swanky BMW - I could get used to this! The Kempinski is gorgeous - my roommate, Lily, and I are staying in what is called a suite but really it's a family compound - three bedrooms plus a maids room (a maid's room!),  gigantic living room/dining room, kitchen and a guest bath with three, yes three, separate sinks. My room has a nice, soft double bed with a huge TV and armoire and my bathroom has a rain shower-head - don't worry, pictures are coming.

Lily and I made it to the mall with the gigantic Carrefour, think French Wal-Mart.  Got some food to carry me over until I figure out what's going on here (I wish I took French because what's not written in Arabic is in French!) and tonights' dinner was walnut toast with "four red berry" jelly.  Hopefully tomorrow will bring better culinary treats, airplane food and toast isn't that exciting.

So far the only problem is that I can't seem to take out money at the ATM and my Credit Card was denied at the super market (yes, Mom and Dad, I called both before I left to let them know I'm here!)

The weather is HOT, even at 10pm, and humid - was kinda surprised by that but A/C is on high everywhere I've been.  My glasses even fogged up when I left the mall.  

Tomorrow begins the work week - it's a Sunday-Thursday schedule over here - so I'll be getting back into work mode, blackberry and all.

yay!!






1 comment: